Thursday, August 25, 2011

Topic: A Self Evident Truth. Our discussion continues.



Phil:  "I refuse to be labeled an atheist, agnostic or true believer, for these appellatives offend my intelligence and deep appreciation of the logic of mathematics, the accumulated body of knowledge derived by scientific exploration, and the universe as we know it today.  For lack of a better word, I am an existentialist, epistemologically speaking. All things considered, what's the alternative? Oxymorons?  What part of know don't you get?"

Arthur C.  Clarke:  "I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical."

Phil:  "I know all things exist and that is always true. Beyond that I can only believe."

Groucho:  "Hello I must be going."

Phil:  "I know I am!  What do you think?"

Rene Descartes:  "I think therefore I am."

B. Leach: "What are you thinking?  Don't even think it!"
(TTW)

Irving Berlin:  "Now, if you're blue, And you don't know where to go to. Why don't you go where fashion sits?"
.
Phil:  "Legend has it Santa Claus is real. And apparently faster than the speed of light."

Gerald Ford:  "Whip inflation now."

Santa Claus:  "Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen! On, Comet! on Cupid! on Donner and Blitzen!"

Freud:  "Ja, Herrin."

Carl Jung:  "The word "belief" is a difficult thing for me. I don't believe. I must have a reason for a certain hypothesis. Either I know a thing, and then I know it - I don't need to believe it."

Stephen Wright: "When I turned two I was really anxious, because I'd doubled my age in a year. I thought, if this keeps up, by the time I'm six I'll be ninety.”

Bertrand Russell:  "Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."

Phil:  "Every habit is a bad habit."

Bertram Russell:  "So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."

Lou Costello:  "Who's on first?"

Phil:  "An apple a day keeps the Doctor away."

Hamlet:  "Get thee to a nunnery."

Hippocrates:  “A physician without a knowledge of Astrology has no right to call himself a physician."

Isaac Newton:  Force equals mass times accelleration.

Stephen Hawking: "I have hardly ever known a mathematician who was able to reason."

Blaise Pascal:  "The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing: we know this in countless ways."

Phil:  "One must be careful not to trivialize the obvious when attempting profundity for posterity."

No comments:

Post a Comment